Let me just say, I’m so excited to share this post with you guys! I bought this giant case of blueberries the other day when my brother and sister-in-law were in town with the baby. My intention was to make some blueberry muffins for the fam, but baking with an adorable little toddler running around dosent work for me. She’s just too cute!
I’ve already made blueberry muffins a bunch of time so I figured I would try something new with blueberries. Whenever I go to coffee shops, I get crumb cake with my coffee (or Madelines, which I made a few weeks ago!) This crumb cake definitely gives Starbucks and Coffee Bean a run for their money.
I found this recipe over on Bake or Break. This blog is full of stunning, simplistic pictures of food and inspires me to take better pictures myself.
I hope you’ll give these a try. You could package them up and bring them in your purse to the coffee shop, show them who is boss :).
Blueberry Crumb Cake
For the Cake
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 9″x 13″baking pan with foil and butter the foil by melting butter and using a brush.
2. Stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. Using a mixer on medium speed, beat butter and sugar until soft and light (about 5 minutes). Add whole eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
4. On low speed, add half the flour mixture and mix well. Add yolks, mixing well, then add remaining flour mixture.
5. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Smooth the top. Sprinkle blueberries over the batter.
For the Topping
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1.Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir in melted butter and combine with your fingers until the mixture is coarse crumbs. Scatter the crumbs evenly over the berries.
2.Bake for 40 minutes, or until cake is firm. Cool cake in pan on wire rack.
Adapted from Bake or Break.