Finally! The Hazelnut Cake is made! And I must say, it turned out quite delicious.
Finding hazelnuts though was a bit of a challenge. I went to Trader Joes and they’re not getting them in until Christmas (weird?) so I ended up at Ralphs where I had to buy 4 mini packages of them. I was starting to think I made the choice in making the Hazelnut Cake but I was definitely wrong.
It looks a little sloppy but it tastes amazing..hehe
Oh, and of course that is lovely nutella on top…mmm…
1 & 1/2 cups unblanched ground Hazelnuts
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup Sugar, separated into two 6 tps sections
3 eggs, seperated
2 cups all- purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
3 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped into very small pieces
1 cup milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Butter a 12-cup Bundt pan. Coat with 1/2 cup ground hazelnuts.
- Beat the butter and 6 tbs of sugar on medium speed. Mix until soft and light, about 5 minutes. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, ground hazelnuts, and chocolate. Add half of the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture. Mix on low speed just until blended. Beat in the milk. Beat in the remaining flour mixture.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed. Mix until white and opaque and just beginning to hold a shape. Increase speed to medium-high and add remaining 6 tablespoons sugar in a stream. Continue mixing until soft peaks form.
- Stir one-third of egg whites into batter. Then, fold in remaining egg whites.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool for a minute and the flip it over onto a wire rack to cool.
- Top with Nutella or any other Hazelnut spread