This has been an interesting week. I managed to come down with some intense cough, imagine an old man who has been smoking for 60 years coughing. Thats been lovely. On top of that, I’ve come to realize I don’t know where I’m going with my life. I know I’m only 19 but it’s still a big issue. So this whole week I’ve been bouncing around ideas of switching to Environmental Studies and going to culinary school. All I know is that whatever I’m doing right now, just isnt cutting it.
With that, people were concerned that I wasn’t going to be baking this Thursday but alas I did. Although I am posting this technically on Friday I can assure you all of the baking was done Thursday evening with some technical difficulties…
Lets just say, Coriander and Cardamom are definitely NOT the same spice. I guess that is what I get for talking on my phone while at the store?
I did have a special guest this evening! My lovely friend Shawna came home from SDSU and stopped by to observe. I’m also proud to say that I have inspired my Brother and my close friend to start their own blogs :). You can check those out off to the right side of this page under “Blog Roll”.
Enough about that nonsense, lets get to the dessert!
After a ton of debate, more so with myself then with anyone else, I ended up going with the Chai Cupcakes this Thursday just because they looked so cute and different. The Hazelnut cake will be a side project, or next Thursday.
I found a few recipes but this was the one I liked the best. Some of them used actual Chai Tea bags but this one used real spices which I liked better. As long as you don’t buy the wrong spices like me 🙂
CHAI CUPCAKES RECIPE (Makes 12 Regular Cupcakes or 30 Mini)
Chai Spice Mix
1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground Ginger
1 teaspoon ground Cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons ground Cardamon
1 ½ cups Cake Flour
1 ¼ teaspoons Baking Powder
½ teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Chai Spice Mix
½ cup Unsalted Butter (Room Temp)
1 cup Sugar
1 Egg and 2 Egg Whites
½ cup Whole Milk
OVEN: 350 TIME: 15-18 minutes (15 for mini cupcakes)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Prep your cupcake tins with liners.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the Flour, Baking Powder, Salt and Chai Spice Mix.
- Using a mixer (or a handheld mixer), cream together the Butter and Sugar.
- Add in the Eggs and Egg whites slowly, make sure to blend together well between each egg.
- Add in the flour mixture and the milk in 3 alternation additions, starting and ending with the flour mix. Beat just to combine each addition.
- Using a spoon, or whatever you’re happy with, fill the cupcake tins 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes for Regular Cupcakes. Around 15 minutes for the Mini Cupcakes. If you’re not sure you can always check if they’re done by sticking a tooth pick in and checking if it comes out clean.
- Important: Make sure to rotate pans half way through. Many ovens cook unevenly and this will help keep all your little cupcakes nice and perfect.
4 oz. Semi Sweet Chocolate
1/2 cup Heavy Cream
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- Chop up the chocolate into small pieces and place in a heat resistant bowl.
- On the stove bring the Heavy Cream and Cinnamon to a simmer.
- Pour over the chocolate, wait a minute, and then stir together.
- Place the ganache into the fridge for about an hour to let it stiffen up a bit.
- When it looks thick enough take it out and whisk it until it looks fluffed up.
I hope you enjoy!
Until next week,
PS: All of the pictures were done on my new Canon G12. I’m in love. They all came out beautiful 🙂 Highly recommended.